Winter has arrived at our doorstep once again – just too quick! Taking us back to heaters, warm clothes, short days, and foggy drives. As the days get colder and shorter, we start to feel the ’winter blues’. As much as people struggle with flu, coughs, and chest infections, winter can also make us feel a bit down and miserable.
During cold months we tend to stay indoors and not go out often. The hours that we can be exposed to the Sun is a lot less than during warmer months. It is when we breathe in the fresh air and be exposed to the Sun that we release a neurotransmitter called ‘Serotonin’ – which is a mood enhancer – which can make us feel uplifted and happy.
‘Serotonin’ is released by the brain and the gut – When we have high levels of Serotonin, we feel happier than when we have lower levels of it. We all would love to feel happier, more energetic, and focused.
Letz see how we can feel better this Winter
1) Start the day with a glass of water – before that cup of coffee or cigarette, have a glass of water. Make it your new habit. Starting the day with a glass of water has many benefits to your health and wellbeing by hydrating your gut and improving your metabolism.
2) Learn to breathe deeply – every now and then, take a few deep breaths – This increases your oxygen levels in the cells and invigorates your life with vitality and zest. All cells in our body require oxygen to keep our organs healthy. Breathing deeply will increase your oxygen levels to maintain a healthy body and a healthy mind.
3) A short daily walk in the morning or after 4pm will give you exposure to the energy of the Sun – The Sun is powerful and it gives us the energy to feel strong and powerful. Learn to stand or walk outside before 10am or after 4pm – The rays of the Sun are just the right temperature during the winter months, for you to soak in the Energy of the Sun to feel empowered and confident.
4) Write 5 things that make you happy – EG- Meeting a friend for a cuppa at the local café / Walking along the river / going for a long drive / Calling a friend / Reading a book in bed – anything that would make you feel happy.
Whenever you feel down or starting to feel a bit sad or miserable – then you can tap into one of the 5 things from your list of things that makes you feel GOOD!
5) Set 2 goals to achieve over the next 4 months – Focus on these goals. Write them down and break it down to step by step actions. Every week and every day do something towards achieving your goals (You can write 3-4goals if you like – 2 might be achievable) – so that you won’t lose interest if you feel less motivated.
Make this winter the best Winter you have had. Stay focused and positive and live the life you desire.